Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Coconut Flour Pancakes by Primal Palate

While I do have a bowl of cereal every once in a while, pancakes are something I rarely eat. I hardly have time to whip up a batch before work, and if someone else cooks it's usually the pre-made crap. No offense Aunt Jemima. Yesterday, I got up a little earlier than usual and decided the time would be well spent indulging in some home-made paleo pancakes.


The Recipe

The Good
They look like pancakes
Don't stick to the pan

The Bad
Awful texture, almost sponge-like
Very bitter

Overall - 1/5
After many delicious meals I've prepared from Primal Palate, I found one that was disappointing. The flavor was very bitter, I believe there was too much nutmeg. And I would have preferred a chewier texture. These pancakes are very cake-like and spongy since the recipe calls for four eggs. I actually doubled the batch, thinking I would love it (which has been the case for all the other recipes I've made from Hayley and Bill), and I ended up throwing half of it away.


However, this was my first time cooking with coconut flour, and there was certainly an unusual flavor that I couldn't put my finger on. I would be surprised if I didn't like the flour since I love everything coconut (water, milk, oil, flakes). I'll have to try some more recipes that call for it to see if that was the reason I didn't like the pancakes. Of course, there is always the possibility that I screwed up the recipe somehow. The commenters on Hayley and Bill's website seemed to love it, but this is just one recipe of theirs I can't recommend.