Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Low-Carb Cheesecake from Modern Paleo

I love cheesecake. As a kid it my favorite dessert. Nothing was better to finish a meal than a deliciously creamy slice of Cheesecake. I was also spoiled rotten by my Grandpa who had an award winning recipe in West Virginia. Although, I never understood why he loved to cook it and never wanted to eat it.

Since adopting a Paleo Diet, I've avoided dairy, but every now and again I'll have some cheese with a meal and I won't feel bad about it. I saw this recipe on Modern Paleo and I knew I had to try it.

There is much debate as to whether dairy is paleo or not. But when it comes to dessert, let's face it, sometimes you just want something tasty (it is still grain and legume free though).

The Recipe - Click Here


The Good

  • Quick - took me 15 minutes to prepare 
  • Uses basic ingredients - nothing I had to run to the store for
  • Aroma coming from the oven was intoxicating, reminded me of my childhood
  • Low sugar - I used 1/4C Honey (64g of sugar for the whole pie)
  • The crust is tasty! reminds me of this pumpkin pie crust
  • High protein - pretty good for a dessert 


The Bad

  • Took me an hour to cook at 375 (this is probably similar for most cheesecakes though)
  • You can tell it's low sugar
  • A little bland - could have used some spices (cinnamon ect)


Overall - 3/5 Stars
This is a solid cheesecake recipe. For those looking for a low-carb option, this is one I can recommend. It's not going to blow you away, but you won't be disappointed either. It has a solid texture and light crust. The cream cheese filling is the most dominant flavor here. But it finishes strong with the nuts from the crust (I used hazelnut). You might want to try putting in a tad more sugar than I did, and possible experimenting with some cinnamon to bring out the nuttiness of the crust.

Also, the smell of this cake was so alluring I coudn't wait for it to cool down. About 10 minutes after taking it out of the oven I was already digging in. To be fair, I did have some more today after letting the cake cool down overnight. Don't be surprised if you end up eating more than you intend to (this cake is very light).