Friday, March 2, 2012

Custard Vanilla Ice Cream by the Kitchn

Ice cream is something I haven't had a lot of recently. Mostly because I've stayed away from milk. But I've seen that some of the best recipes don't even contain milk, just heavy cream.

I was initially interested from Paul Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet blog. He has a recipe that I attempted a couple times, but it wasn't that great (maybe I didn't like the lemon in my ice cream). Whatever the reason, I found myself looking for another recipe.

While cooking Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins with a friend, we had 4 left over egg yolks, and I didn't want  all that nutrition and flavor go to waste. I remembered that you could use egg yolks in ice cream, so I went looking for a simple recipe I could make while the muffins were baking. What I found was mouthwateringly good.




The Good

  • Bursting with flavor in every scoop
  • Fresh ingredients
  • Simple recipe
  • Great consistency


The Bad

  • Raw eggs?


Overall - 5/5 Stars

This ice cream was so rich and cream, I really couldn't stop eating it. It had a nice yellow hue from the farm fresh eggs I got from Wegmans, and the Madagascar Vanilla scent filled my nose with every bite. It had a great consistency as well. It wasn't too icy for homemade ice cream (I dont have a machine); it was actually very smooth.

My mom keeps about 4-5 different pints of ice cream in the fridge at any time. So I decided to compare Bryer's French Vanilla to this recipe and the flavors aren't even close. This one is two leagues above Bryer's. It probably has something to do with the ingredients. I used heavy cream from upstate farm cows, egg yolks from free-range chickens, and even unpasteurized raw honey - which is a powerhouse of flavor by its self.

I'm not sure how I feel about the raw eggs, but that didn't stop me from polishing off this whole batch in a couple sittings. I will definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment