Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grain-Free Pumpkin Cheesecake by The Foodie and The Family

I decided to give up chocolate this year for lent. Well, not really for lent (because I don't pretend to be religious), but at least the time frame that lent represents. It's more of a personal challenge, and I'm curious how often I would be temped by something so delicious (the answer is: everyday). In lieu of chocolate, I've been finding some awesome desserts that feature other flavors. 

This recipe, unlike the last paleo cheesecake I tried, is pumpkin flavored. I was drawn to it by the photos. Tara, the writer and chief of The Foodie and The Family makes the cheesecake look so dense and rich. I had to try it. 




The Good
  • Thick rich consistency
  • Very easy to follow
  • Not too sweet

The Bad
  • Would've added a bit more pumpkin puree
  • I burnt my crust

Overall - 4/5 Stars

This cheesecake is super rich and light on the sugar (which I like). It has a subtle pumpkin flavor, which is nice, because it's not overpowering. It has a fantastic thick creamy consistency. The only draw back to this recipe is the crust.

The recipe calls to cook it for 20 minutes (before the rest of the cake). I put it in the over for 15 and when I took it out it was already burnt. That was a little frustrating. I'll have to be more careful with that next time. But the recipe had a very nice flow to it. Once the crust is cooking you have time to prepare the filling. 

I would make this again, but maybe I'll use Everyday Paleo's recipe for crust - which was delicious when I made it two Thanksgivings ago.