Thursday, December 9, 2010

7 Quick Cooking Tips from a Noob

Cooking is an art, and like most art it takes time to craft and master. On my exciting return to cooking, thanks to the paleo-diet, I have learned a few things that I would like to share.


  1. Lemon makes just about any meat or vegetable tasty - I have tried squeezing fresh lemon on anything from fish to broccoli to parsnips. I'm guessing limes, oranges and other citrus fruits will work just as well.
  2. Steaming vegetables is SO easy - This is definitely my new favorite method of cooking veggies.
  3. Balsamic reduction sounds a lot more complex then it is - It's very easy and adds a rich and slightly sweet flavor to your dish. Here is a good discussion on CHOW.
  4. Having the right equipment helps - No need to go overboard, but you need the basics. Right not I'm using my skillet to cover the top to my pans when I steam. Probably time to invest in some basic kitchen ware.
  5. Learn useful tips from the Food Network and Cooking Channel - I don't watch a lot of TV, but I do have 10-15 minutes while I'm eating. The Cooking Channel has really grow on me recently. I feel they have a lot more helpful shows, where as the Food Network still has shows like Unwrapped. No offense Mark Summers, but I liked you better on Double Dare.
  6. Fresh is better than frozen - This is true with nearly everything. Frozen veggies just don't taste as good as the fresh ones. I know this is pretty standard advice, and some times we need to take shortcuts in cooking, but from now on I'm going to try to limit my frozen vegetables.
  7. Find a good mentor - Having a friend who is also interested in cooking making it all the more enjoyable. Especially, when they can steer you in the right direction when it comes to new food, spices to use, cooking methods ect. Don't have a friend that likes to cook? That's what number 5 is for.
Those were just some quick tips that I've learned recently. I have had some successful meals and definitely some busts, but I'm loving getting back into it. Isn't that what it's all about? Have any other tips for beginner chefs? Feel free to add a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment