Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 26 - The Vegetable that sounds like a Japanese game show

To continue my momentum of cooking new veggies, I will try my hand at the mighty Daikon! Yes, part of the radish family, - this root vegetable looks like a big white carrot. I couldn't find a whole lot of recipes online (CHOW failed me), so I decided just to slice it (1/4in thick) and toss on some olive oil, salt, pepper, and various spices. This seems to work pretty well for most vegetables. Then, I put the sliced Daikon in a cooking dish in the oven at 450 for 30 minutes. I'll check on it from there.

To go with the Daikon, I some Morrocan spiced Lamb sausage that I bought at the farmers market yesterday. I'm not sure how I'm going to pull it all together, but I don't need anything elaborate since I'm cooking for myself.

Other things to note since I've been paleo:

  1. My appreciation for vegetables has skyrocketed
  2. I have definitely adjusted to the low carb approach (I still have cravings, but my stomach isn't growling all the time)
  3. My appreciation for cooking increased (I really enjoy the time I spend preparing my food, which is how it should be - before I would just toss a meal together as quick as possible)
  4. My performance has been really good in regards to hockey, running, and strength training
  5. I love only eating 3 meals. I feel a little more sane when it comes to food now (maybe not from an outside perspective)

All in all, this experiment has forever changed the way that I interact with food, and I'm not sure I want to go back to the way I was doing it before. I have seen and experienced a lot that has convinced me that this might be a better way of living/eating. Of course eating more veggies is helpful, but how about the other stuff?

I have 3 or so more days and then I will start to re-introduce the grains, dairy, and legumes one at a time to see how they effect my body. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment