Friday, November 26, 2010

Day 17 - Fantastic Crossfit Workout

As my dad and I drove up to West Chester Crossfit I already had a good vibe about this experience. We drove up to the warehouse and parked. The garage door was 3/4 closed. Inside I could see a handful of enthusiastic crossfitters all doing various warm ups. Meanwhile, I had no idea what we were going to be doing.

I spoke briefly with Jimmy one of the gym co-owners. He was very welcoming, and we talked a little bit about how I was trying to follow the paleo-diet. A solution that he say many crossfitters follow (with varying degrees of leniency). Then I walked into the gym area and met with everyone else who was going to be working with us. There was 6 or 7 cheery people who were eager to introduce themselves. I instantly felt welcome.

We warmed up with two laps around the gym, followed by various lunges, and stretches to warm up the muscles. Following that we played a rousing game of hot-potato with a medicine ball. This was pretty funny. After everyone was warmed up we began our workout.

15 minutes. Starting with jump-ups, then moving to a rotation of hand-stand push ups, dead lifts, and bar jumps (jumping over the dead lift bar). Simple right? Only 15 minutes, how hard could it be? WOW, way intense. I realized I'm not used to that sort of intensity, even in my roller hockey games I get a break. I managed to get 6 or so in 15 minutes, which I was pretty proud of considering I had never done it before.

I had a great time. It was highly motivating to see everyone else competing and doing their best. It made me want to do my best and push myself. I guess that's how they see so much success. I would definitely go again if I had the money to join a crossfit gym. It was a great experience, and I know I got a lot more out of it than I would if I had just gone to the gym by myself.

Summary: Definitely recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment