Friday, November 12, 2010

Day 2 - 3 meals, 4 meals, five meals, more?









When I went to the nutritionist at school three years ago, she recommended I double my carb intake for the kind of cardio and lifting I was doing. With that guideline my diet roughly equaled; 80/90g carbs, 20g protein, and 15g fat per meal (I confirmed this with other online research). But this was me eating five times a day.

Most of my friends thought I was crazy, and a lot probably still do. But I managed to make it work. I would eat burritos (sometimes homemade), kasha pizza, cereal (almost every morning), lots of brown rice, homemade muffins, peanut butter and jelly, and sometimes two sandwiches a meal just to get enough bread. I hardly ate any meat, because of cost, and I hardly ate vegetables because of taste. So most of my protein was acquired through beans, grains, ect. Robb calls these “third-world proteins” which I find pretty humorous but also slightly alarming. I ALWAYS had to have food with me, I was constantly eating. I always had a cliffbar with me when I went out, because I would always get hungry. I was so used to having carbs pumped into me at the speed of light that they were always within arm’s reach.

To be honest, it was a real pain in the ass, but I kept up with it because I thought I was doing my body good. I would tell my friends that “I’m paying for my hospital bills early” when they asked about how I could afford “healthy” food. Then today I find a blog that goes against eating five times a day. It’s a pretty scientific sounding blog, but in essence he refutes the commonly held belief, legend, myth that it is healthier to eat more frequently. This would certainly make things a lot easier for me. In fact, Robb recommends eating just three meals a day. Thank god! There’s no way I could cook five meals a day and have time to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment